Two of the Republic of Ireland BioPAD partners (the WDC and IrBEA- the Irish Bioenergy Association- an associate partner) have made submissions to the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources on the Green Paper on Energy Policy in Ireland.
This Green Paper is taking a long-term look at the policy, regulatory and societal interventions we need to make in the coming years. Government, industry, system operators and the public will all need to make sound, evidence-based choices. The Green Paper is set out under six Priority Themes which are:
1. Empowering Energy Citizens;
2. Markets, Regulation and Prices;
3. Planning and Implementing Essential Energy Infrastructure;
4. Ensuring a Balanced and Secure Energy Mix;
5. Putting the Energy System on a Sustainable Pathway; and
6. Driving Economic Opportunity.
Both of the BioPAD partners emphasised the importance of developing our indigenous bioenergy resources and highlighted the contribution these can make to employment and driving economic opportunity.
The WDC submission is available at: http://www.biopad.eu/wp-content/uploads/WDC-response-Energy-Green-Paper-consultation-31.07.14.pdf
The IrBEA submission is available at http://www.irbea.ie/images/documents/irbea_response_dcenr_green_paper_july2014_final.pdf